Georgia on my mind

Today I was reading this book called Range of Motion (many thanks to Stacy for the recommendation!) by Elizabeth Berg, and the main character was talking about how her friends call her Nostalgia Woman because she romanticizes the past so much. Is that really such a bad thing? I mean, I guess you can go overboard and stop moving forward with your life, but as long as you can avoid that, I think its really good to appreciate the past and the life you’ve lived thus far. I’m queen of nostalgia. Practically every bit of d├ęcor in our apartment is nostalgic…pictures from the past, items from the past. Here’s the most nostalgic corner of all:
























I mean…it’s a little out of control :) But I love it. It’s one of the first things I see in the morning, and it makes me so happy. All these things “take me back” or just remind me of good things in my life…the pictures of people I love, the wooden dog figurines that used to be in my parents’ kitchen, the sock monkey that was tied around the bedpost in the room I always slept in at my Grandmother’s house, the light switch I made with Mimi in Austin, the sweet Post-It notes from Seth…and its all sitting on my Grandmother’s vanity. When she was alive and it was in her house, it was covered in pictures. The mirror was no longer something to see your reflection in – it became a giant picture frame. And the drawers were filled with more pictures and letters and toys and tons of keys. That vanity wasn't cluttered...it was just full of memories, and I'm proud that it is still full of memories.

Okay I can't resist:



















Wasn't she CUTE?!

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of all this was, except that remembering is good, and I think its healthy and keeps me appreciative of what I have and what I used to have.

Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Lollie Lane said...

You're gran was adorable. This is one of my favorite pictures you own.

alison said...

I love you Lib! You're going to be just as cute as your grandma one day. =)