I've got the fever

I've got spring fever bad, and it doesn't help that I don't have enough to do at my job (AGAIN). It's 78 degrees and sunny outside this very moment and I'm stuck in this cube, watching the clock. Poor me, I know ;) But really, I don't know why I keep taking these jobs that don't challenge me. Well, that's not true...I know exactly why. I'm scared that anything else would be too hard, too stressful, too unpredictable. So instead of doing something that may be more difficult but I could feel good about at the end of the day, I do the job that bores me to tears just so I can be guaranteed a steady paycheck and to be out the door by 5:00pm.

Here's what's got me thinking about all this today. My friend Jeannette came in town this past weekend from Virginia, and she is a high school Spanish teacher. We got to talking about teaching, and how great it would be to get summers and spring break off, and I mentioned that occasionally I think about being an art teacher, but never very seriously. But something about our conversation on Sunday made me think about it again, and more seriously. I'm not really an artist...I don't spend all my time in a studio, feverishly painting away. I'm more of an organized, follow-the-steps kind of person who happens to have formal training in art (and a fairly good eye for it, I think). So wouldn't that make me a good teacher? The only thing I don't have is the ability to speak in public....I get sweaty and my ears go up in flames and my voice cracks. But Jeannette said that that part of teaching gets easier the more you do it, and I believe it. I used to be a canvasser and talk to 40 strangers every day - surely I can talk to some kids about making art. Right?

But as soon as I start getting excited about the possibility, negative thoughts start creeping in. Do I really want to go back to school? What if I do go back to school and then I find out I hate teaching? Or that I'm bad at it? Or what if I love teaching but I can't find a job doing it, and then I can't get a paycheck, and then I can't save for a house? Kids seem so out of control these days...could I really be in charge of them? The list goes on and on. So I don't know what to think right now. Except that I'm bored and I think my current situation isn't cutting it.

On to a lighter note, this past weekend was such a good one. Seth's band, the Leningrads, played their first 2 shows ever, and they did such a great job!



I took a video of them playing a whole song from start to finish, and I wish I could post it here, but I guess there's no way to do that. If someone knows how, let me know and I'll put it up. It was just so great to see Seth up on that stage doing something he's so passionate about (and be so good at it, too).



Seth's whole family came to see him, too, which was awesome. They're all so fun to be around...I really lucked out in the in-law department :) Three out-of-towners came in also - Al, Callie, & Jeannette! It was great to have so many good pals here.

I guess that's about all for now....time to go take advantage of the beautiful day. Later!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it Libby, don't let fear or doubt hold you back.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Go for it Libby, don't let fear or doubt hold you back.
Rebecca

Lollie Lane said...

The show at Barley's was great! Seth's so cute while he's drummin'.

Anonymous said...

i think you should go into a classroom and see what it's like. if you were in austin i could get you in to one at my school. boo.
do you want to teach high school or elementary? for the record, i think you'd be an awesome teacher! i also know that your high school experience was very different from public schools i've worked in. so you might want to check it out to see if you like the change. but in my opinion, one of the most important aspects to teaching is the desire to be there.

h

jeannieo said...

I totally agree that one of the most important things is wanting to be there. The kids know when you're there cuz you want to be and they respond to it. I think you'd do well with middle or high schoolers because you're a real person and you'll be honest with them and you're young enough to still be cool :)

betsy said...

Libby - put the video on youtube and then post a link!

Anonymous said...

I'M SO GLAD I GOT TO COME HEAR THE BAND. IT HAD BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE SETH GOT TO BE "THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY"! HA HE ROCKS!
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT SHOW!
I LOVE YOUR BLOG...YOU'RE THE GREATEST DAUGHTER-IN-LAW IN THE WHOLE WORLD.
I LOVE YOU AND SETH!
MAMA TEE

thomas david purkey said...

i need the names of all of these people in the band so i can badmouth them, while acclaiming seth's percussion skills. just kidding.