Ooops...

...I accidentally didn't post any blogs for 10 days again. I have got to quit doing that. What's been going on these days? Just allot of stuff that probably seems insignificant to most people but are great to me (insert cliche here: Its the little things that make life great, or however it goes). For example....



I made my very first meatloaf! AND, it wasn't just any ordinary meatloaf. Oh no. It was a meat-free meatloaf! This is what made it so great. Seth is a vegetarian, and he hasn't been able to eat meatloaf for 12 years - 12 YEARS! - until last Monday :) I know allot of people would be suspicious of meatloaf without meat in it, but seriously, it was soooo good. Here's how to make it:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Saute: 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 medium onion (minced), 4 cloves of garlic (minced), 1 c. minced carrots, 1 c. minced celery, 1 package of Morningstar Farms Crumbles (saute until onions are tender).
3. In a bowl, mix 1/2 c. ketchup, 1/3 c. breadcrumbs, 2 eggs.
4. Mix ketchup mixture and "meat" mixture, put in a greased loaf pan, and spread 1/4 c. ketchup over top.
5. Bake for 35 minutes, then let it sit for 10 minutes.

I got the recipe out of a cookbook that my sister Lana gave us for Christmas - thanks, Lan!

On the art front, I started and finished a painting for the first time in years. Sure, its on a tiny canvas (5x5), but its still kind of a big deal for me. Its a portrait of June:



I'm really happy with how it turned out, but even more than that, I'm happy because completing it gave me a much-needed boost of confidence. It reminded me that its okay to just paint something because I want to (this one was a birthday present for Stacy)...it doesn't have to be a ground-breaking piece that's going to "wow" the art community :) I think all those years of art school really made me over-think art and get obsessed with doing something that's never been done before. That line of thinking sort of paralyzed me creatively - if I'm not going to make something amazing, then I'm not going to make anything at all - not good. Another thing I had stuck in my head was that its bad to work on such a small scale. Well, that's what I like best, so that's what I'm going to do for awhile. Remember that huge canvas that I hardly did anything with for the past 8 months? I covered it with chalkboard paint this weekend, and now I can just draw without holding back, without all the pressure.



What a relief :)

3 comments:

jeannieo said...

chalkboard paint! you're a genius! I'm so glad you're painting again :) LOVE love love the fingerhook pictures!

Lollie Lane said...

I love my painting of June. Still haven't found the best spot for it yet. Thank you again!!

Toni Jill said...

Love the picture of June! Very jealous of your talent! ANd love the chalkboard paint - as an elementary teacher in a former life (aka before kids), anything with chalk is Marvelous!