Adventures in cubed food, part 2



I tried another new recipe last night: Moroccan-Spiced Sweet Potato Medley. It was pretty interesting...the flavor was really different from anything I've ever eaten or cooked, and it was a nice change. Here's my tweaked version of the recipe if you'd like to try it:

2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed w/ garlic press (I just used a spoonful of the pre-diced garlic from a jar)
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 (14oz) can of stewed tomatoes
1 box couscous (the recipe called for bulgur but I couldn't find it)
2 cups water
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins (or even more if you want - I think the raisins really made this dish)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, chopped (I think 1/4 c. would be fine too, maybe even preferable...when I ate the leftovers for lunch today, they were a tad too cilantro-y)

1. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and cayenne, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Add potatoes, tomatoes, and water; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions (start about 5 minutes before potato mixture is done).
4. Once the potato mixture has simmered for 20 minutes, stir in beans, raisins, and cilantro; heat through.



I guess pretty soon I'm gonna have to change the title of this blog to My So-Called Food Blog, because that's all I seem to be writing about these days. There's actually something really big that is (hopefully) about to happen in my life, and as soon as its a done deal I'll write all about it. But in the meantime, I hope my adventures in cooking are somewhat interesting to read about and maybe even try at home. I saw an article today about how its cheaper to be a vegetarian, so even if you are a meat-eater (like me!), these dishes might be worth a try if you're trying to save a buck or two.

2 comments:

jeannieo said...

Chris Meloni will be on Celebrity Jeopardy tomorrow!

jeannieo said...

since you may be needing new decor in the near future, you may need fabric: http://www.makemefabrics.com