Adventures in Tofu


I don't know if its because it finally rained this week for the first time in forever (we're in the middle of the worst drought we've had for 100 years) and the air feels crisp and a little cool a night, but I've got that Fall feeling. You know the one...you can feel the change in the air and you know winter is just around the corner so you take full advantage of being able to still do things outside (or even have the will to leave the house) while you still can. That's sorta how I feel, except its not fall...its the middle of summer and our yearly beach trip is still a month away. Its a good feeling, though. I've got lots of little projects and challenges for myself brewing in my head, and they're all good and long overdue. And I really need to follow through with them, which is why I'm not quite ready to advertise them yet. I have a tendency to make drastic decisions about how I'm going to live my life from now on ("I'm going to start exercising 3 days a week from now on" or "I'm going to start painting every Saturday from now on" or "I'm going to stop watching so much TV from now on"). Its exhausting and I never follow through completely and I end up just feeling embarrassed and regretting that I had to go and tell everyone about it and then fail. So today I'm trying a new approach. I'm not going to blab my new plan until after I've succeeded at it for at least a week (and then I'll write about it).

And speaking of succeeding with a plan, today was my 11th work day in a row to not eat pb&j and pretzels for lunch :) I've been really trying to experiment with food, and branch out from my old habits, and I really appreciate everyone who gave me suggestions of new meal ideas - thank you!! I've tried allot of your suggestions, and I've also been inspired to try something for the first time: Cook Tofu. I order tofu quite a bit at restaurants (home-style bean curd and inari are my favorites), but I've always been afraid to make it at home because let's be honest...tofu that isn't cooked the right way can be like eating a soggy sponge. Well, tonight I finally bit the bullet, and turned this:



...into THIS!!!



It turned out to be a delicious meal and a beautiful plate of food. So glad I finally gave tofu a shot. Okay that's enough for tonight. Until next time...

7 comments:

Lollie Lane said...

dude, that looks awesome! Glad your first experience was good. And I hear ya about the big life changes thing. I will be so sure. SO SURE that I am never watching the Hills again and sure enough, the new season rolls around and I'm stoked for it.

P.S. All new season of The Hills starting Monday, August 13th, 10pm. BE THERE.

Libby said...

LOL - I love it :)

jeannieo said...

that looks so yummy!

I find that I do better with meeting my goals if I say "I'm going to do this today." or "I'm going to do this on Wednesday between 3 and 5". I guess I just have to give myself structure...?

I'm trying to watch big brother, but when they say things like "this is live or die" the cynical part of me says to stop watching because they take themselves so seriously.

Norma said...

how did you get your tofu to brown so nicely?! Mine usually leaves it's cooked parts stuck to the pan. I've had good luck with mixing a little bit of cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a bowl and rolling the tofu in that to make crunchy tofu. it's addictive. I'll just warn you.

good job with leaving the pb&j behind you!

Libby said...

Ooooh...rolling the tofu in a cornstarch mixture sounds delish. I'm definitely trying that next time. But about this tofu - I just kept the heat at medium-high and stirred it constantly. Other than that, it was probably just dumb luck :)

betsy said...

oh MAN I know it takes up too much room on your blog but you should post the recipe for this. it looks so mouth-watering. coming from me at 9:54am, that's pretty amazing.

jeannieo said...

hey, I'm actually coming to town next week, wednesday specifically! I should be in town for 5-6 days for sure this time!