Book Club Dropout


Well, I just ditched my first book club. In an effort to broaden my horizons and create some friendships at work, I joined a 1-time-only book club about a month ago. I wasn't thrilled with the book choice (In the Wake of the Plague), but I decided to give it a shot anyway. As you can probably guess, the book was awful, and impossible to get through, and finally I just realized that I'm not in school anymore so if I'm hating a book there's no reason why I can't just stop reading it. So that's what i did! And it felt good :) I also learned a valuable lesson: just because a book's cover quote calls it "lively and provocative" doesn't mean it is either of those things. Now if I can just find a book club that wants to read a novel with great character development...

4 comments:

Lollie Lane said...

I devooooured this book!

just kidding. :)

jeannieo said...

Ew, that book looks horrendous! I always judge a book by its cover (in the literal sense) when I'm deciding what to read...

we should start an online book club with our friends in far away places!

Anonymous said...

Book clubs are hard. I think some of them are overrated. It's difficult to find a group of people who want to read what you want to read. Sometimes I fake read the book and then go for the wine and cheese. If I like the company, that is. :)
-h

Aziza said...

This is great info to know.