menu overhaul


Do you ever get tired of food and just eating in general? And not because you want to lose weight or save money but because absolutely NOTHING sounds good anymore? The things you used to love to eat -- chips, pizza, Jimmy John's subs, pb&j sandwiches, spaghetti -- sound awful and you'd sooner just eat nothing than eat any of those things one more time? Well, this has happened to me, and its frustrating. I know I have only myself to blame because I tend to eat the same things every day for months or even years until I can't stand the sight of them anymore. For example - almost every[work]day for the past year I have eaten a bowl of generic frosted mini wheats for breakfast, a pack of peanut butter crackers for a morning snack, and a peanut butter & honey (or jelly) sandwich, apple, and pretzels for lunch - and I can't take it anymore! So after throwing a mini-fit on Friday night about running out of ideas for meals, I sat down for several hours on Saturday and looked at cookbooks and magazines and brainstormed about new and fresh meal ideas. And thankfully, I came up with some good ideas and headed to the grocery store to stock up on all sorts of goodies. Let me tell you...it was such a relief to heat up a homemade burrito for lunch today instead of choke down another pb&j :)

Does anyone have any other suggestions for inexpensive & vegetarian dinners, lunches (that are easy to take to work preferably), and snacks to make at home?

6 comments:

jeannieo said...

I've been making subs on whole wheat hoagie rolls with pesto, mozzarella cheese, roma tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, black olives, some shredded lettuce and a pickle on the side. I look forward to it everyday on my way home from school.

also, this might be too close to your pb & honey, but when i was a kid my mom used to mix up peanut butter, crushed pineapple, and a little bit of honey and give it to us as a dip for carrots. It's still one of my favorite things in the world.

jeannieo said...

So what should we read for the book club? The new harry potter comes out soon...that gets my vote!

Norma said...

I tend to keep a range of basics to dress up different ways. Oh and I've really started getting into doing Bento boxes for the kids. (google it!) I think making cute food helps keep it exciting.

I keep ramen noodles on hand, cook them, and then make different stir fry to go with them for a quick dinner. or one lunch was turkey dog octopus (you cut one end into 8 sections before you throw it in the boiling water) on baby spinach. (Thought there might be a veggie alternative... for turkey dogs.)Quiche's are a good easy meal, you can make little ones to take for lunch, and muffins are great too. I made some with banana and shredded apple and oatmeal that were very nice.

good luck with it!

Anonymous said...

THAT LOOKS SOOOOO GOOD! BUT WHAT ARE THE LITTLE BROWN BALLS???? MOUNTAIN OYSTERS???? ha SURE BEATS PB&J!...IT REALLY DOES LOOK YUMMY!

LOVE YOU

YOUR FAVORITE MOMMY-IN-LAW

jeannieo said...

ah, I didn't know you weren't part of the harry potter world. that's cool, I'll be reading it anyway :)

so what ideas do you have? I'm pretty open as long as it isn't about babies.

Ryan said...

HAHHAHA Mountain oysters......i love her.