House Renovation, Day 17

WE'RE DONE WITH THE FLOORS!!!!!!!




...but don't let those pictures fool you - it was NOT fun (we're just high on polyurethane fumes). And honestly, I don't even feel excited about it right now. I know I will soon, but right now I'm so unbelievabley tired that I can't muster up the energy to be excited. What a rollercoaster ride this project was. Remember when I was all pumped up and "felt such a sense of pride and accomplishment after a hard day's work"? I didn't feel that way at all this weekend. I felt exhausted and overwhelmed and overworked.

After a full week of hand sanding and scraping along the perimeters of every (hardwood) room, Seth and I put down our first coat of polyurethane on Saturday. That day wasn't too terrible actually...we had to vacuum all the floors, wipe them all (by hand) with tack cloth, then roll on the poly. It took allot of time, but went well. Sunday, however, was a different story. This time, we had to hand sand all the floors first, then vacuum, then wipe with tack cloth. Plus, it was impossible to see what we were doing because the floor that we were putting poly on was already shiny from the first coat. Towards the end of the day I was so tired and disoriented from the fumes that I walked right out onto the wet floor! I slipped of course, but luckily I caught myself and didn't break my tailbone. But it sure brought on the tears...I didn't get hurt, but making such a dumb mistake was the last straw for me and I just sort of lost it for a minute. I haven't cried that hard in a long time, but it sort of felt good to let it all out.

The next day (Monday night), Seth and I each worked a full day at our paying jobs then headed back to the house for Round 3 (and we also found the evidence of my little spill - can you spot the footprint?).



It was just as hard to do the 3rd coat as it was to do the 2nd, but we just kept moving and working (and whining on my part) and finally finished the final coat around 9pm. I have no idea how good of a job we did or if we missed huge spots (we dropped our brushes and fled the scene as soon as we could), but I guess I'll find out next time I go to the house. Which isn't going to be until Wednesday - I've given myself permission to take a night off, and I can't WAIT. I may do a little packing at the apartment, but other than that I'm going to get in my pj's, eat a leisurely dinner, and watch the finale of Big Brother 8.

I'll post some pictures of the finished product in the next couple of days. In addition to beautiful floors, there is one more upside to all this work: painting the walls is going to feel like a cake walk after all this! Until next time... :)

5 comments:

Pedro J. Baena Luna said...

funny pictures.. greetings

jeannieo said...

First of all, the Toastchee in your hand is Classic Libby.

Secondly, I was totally looking for an extra toe print, just in case you have other secret fake digits.

I can't wait to see the place when you guys are done! I think ryry and I will both be in town around Oct. 20.

jeannieo said...

the really sick part is that they aren't press on nails--I just let mine grow out really long and painted them with some hot hot pink wet 'n' wild! (I've trimmed them now)

Rewsk said...

i kind of like the footprint in the floor....

betsy said...

That footprint is awesome. I don't know if you are going to attempt to get it gone, but I think it would make a great story. Kinda like a handprint in concrete, you've christened your home.

I haven't cried in months and months. I'm due.

And you're so right about painting - it will be so stinkin satisfying to not have to use power tools in order to see a drastic difference.