House Renovation, Day 23

Still here, still working on the house. Now that the floors are done (!!!!), it felt good to focus on some new projects this weekend. Seth rolled up a whole house-worth of carpet and carpet padding that's been in the breezeway, and now its all either at the curb for trash pickup or rolled up in the band room for later use (mostly soundproofing). Its so nice not to have to climb a mountain of carpet to get from the front door to the back door! Seth also tackled this:



That's a close-up shot of the lovely wallpaper that covers our bathroom walls. Seth scraped and scraped and soon we'll have a fruit & vine free bathroom - hurray! Still not sure what color it'll be, though...for some reason deciding on a color for that room hasn't been easy.

The other big project of the weekend was the kitchen. I don't think I've written much about the kitchen yet. I like it allot...the size is just right (not big, but not tiny), and I'm stoked to have a window in the kitchen again. The cabinets, however, are not good. They're made of particle board and covered in fake wood vinyl. They are poorly made and super ugly, so we decided to give them a makeover with some paint and new hardware.




I grossly underestimated how big of a project this was going to be. I sort of thought I could just throw a coat of primer and a coat of paint on the cabinets and switch out the handles for some chrome ones and be done with it. Not the case. For one thing, it didn't even occur to me until the end of last week that the hinges need to be replaced too in order to match the new handles. I know this is going to be a hassle, but after working so hard to do the floors the right way and not skip any steps, I just couldn't turn around and do a half-assed job on the kitchen. Especially since I love being in the kitchen and I love to cook! So anyway, replacing the hinges meant removing all the doors. The second thing I didn't expect was all the grime that had to be removed -- a quick wipe down was not going to do the trick. Every inch of those cabinets had to be scraped and scrubbed. Finally, I didn't realize that the cabinets needed to be sanded before they were primed, especially since the vinyl is so slick. I am so. tired. of sanding.

But if there's one thing I've learned through all this, its that the prep work is almost always the worst part of any job. The cabinet project was no exception, but by Saturday morning it was all done and time to put the primer on (thanks again for your help, Stacy!):



Its amazing how much bigger and brighter the kitchen looked once the big mass of dark fake wood was gone! And it was exciting to finally be able to put color into the room. Here's a sneak peak:



I just can't WAIT until it all comes together and I can see the finished product. Everything isn't going to get done before we move in (in 6 days!!), but that's okay. At least we'll have dry floors to walk on and a finished kitchen to cook in :)

One more thing I need to mention - Seth spent most of the week working wonders on the outside of the house. He pulled up tons of vines and weeds, he trimmed all the bushes, and he mowed our yard for the first time.


You did a great job, Seth - thank you!!
That's all for now. I'll be able to post pictures of the finished kitchen by Wednesday or Thursday.

4 comments:

jeannieo said...

It's so exciting to see all of this come together!

It makes me really want my own house...sigh....someday....

Rewsk said...

ew that wallpaper is VOM CITY! i'm so glad to hear its gone!

i love the cabinet color....

Anonymous said...

so exciting! you should get wallpaper that you can taste, like in willy wonka. just an idea. ;)

heatber

betsy said...

Wow - it's so fun watching your blog unfold. Like as fun as watching Divine Design on HGTV.