House Renovation, Day 8

Major progress has been made. After a full week of pulling staples, nails, and carpet gripper any chance we could (and with help! thanks again Stacy), we finally got the floors completely prepped for sanding. So yesterday (Sunday) morning Seth and I hopped in the car at 8:30am and headed off to Home Depot (my new home away from home) to rent The Big Sander. And since we only wanted to pay for 1 day, our goal was to get all the floors sanded and get the sander back to Home Depot by the time they closed at 8pm.

We started off feeling pumped and ready to knock it out.




But we quickly realized that it was going to be a really big job. Each room had to be sanded 3 times with 3 different grits of sandpaper (60-80-120), and a couple of the really rough areas had to be sanded 4 times (starting with a 36 grit paper). Maneuvering the machine wasn't too terribly difficult, but it wasn't easy either, and one of the hardest parts was being in a mask and goggles for so long, and dripping in sweat because the AC was turned off (we had to stuff all the vents with towels to keep the dust out).

After hours and hours of sanding, we finally finished the entire house, and I can't remember the last time I felt such a sense of pride and accomplishment after a hard day's work. It really is amazing what you can accomplish if you simply decide to do the necessary research and prep and just go for it. Its so empowering and is a huge confidence booster. I feel like I can take on anything now! And holy cow, we saved so much money!! The frugal side of me is doing cartwheels on the inside just thinking about it.

Look at these beauties!!




Of course they're still covered in dust, but man they look brand new! It just blows me away what a difference 1 day's work made. Now we have to decide if we're going to stain the floors then polyurethane them, or skip the stain and just use poly. I've got to do a little research on staining (so glad I can finally stop googling "how to sand hardwood floors"), but I'll write more about that once we make a decision. This week is going to be another week of working on the house in shifts, and this weekend will be another huge project weekend, and I'm ready to take it on! I feel like all those hours I've spent watching HGTV and Trading Spaces are finally paying off :) Stay tuned for more updates soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great work!!! hardwood floors rule. just ask grandma gourley....

bboT

jeannieo said...

wow you guys have gotten so much done!

Lollie Lane said...

dude, I am SO impressed. Are you taking a poll about the finishing? No? Ok, I vote poly only. :)