Baking

Its treat time again at my office, which means that everyone signs up to bring something to eat every day for the month of December. I made another carrot cake (from a box) with cream cheese frosting (also store bought), and I'm telling you...as long as you decorate the cake in an interesting way, no one questions whether or not you made the cake from scratch. If someone asked me straight up, I'd tell them, but no one ever does so I just say "thank you!" when someone says its good :) Last year I made the mistake of using tubed gel icing, and it was mess...I definitely learned my lesson and used a can of icing that came with 4 different tips for decorating this time.



It was a hit! And I purposefully signed up for an early date so I could get it done and cross it off my list. The other thing I got to cross off my list today was giving gifts to the people in my department. Last year....well, last year was just stressful. I took on too much and ended up being completely stressed for a solid month. And part of that stress was due to trying to figure out what to give my coworkers. I ended up picking up some random items (mostly ornaments), and the whole thing just felt forced and expensive. Lots of little things add up! So after watching an episode of the Barefoot Contessa, I decided to make 1 batch of her jam thumbprint cookies and put them in plastic bags and tie them with cute ribbon (like she did) and be done with it.

If you're panicking because Christmas is 2 weeks from today (!!!) and you're trying to figure out what in the world you're going to give your coworkers and you want to only spend about $10 and 2 hours of your time, this is the thing to do. Here's the recipe for the cookies, and the website says its only going to be available for a limited time, so be sure to print it out if you're going to use it. I'm not a baker (I prefer to cook, plus I prefer salty over sweet), and I was able to pull these off easily. Of course, it helped to have Stacy there with me (so I could ask, "Am I doing this right?" and "Is this how the dough is supposed to look??") and the use of her Kitchenaid mixer, but still...this is a recipe that I think anyone could manage :)

It hasn't really occurred to me until now that I've been writing this blog for over a year (13 1/2 months to be exact), and its pretty cool to be able to look back at what I was doing a year ago...pictures and all. If I keep this up, I could potentially look back at what I was doing 5 and 10 years ago! That's pretty cool. Thank you technology! :)

2 comments:

betsy said...

Hey Libby. This video made me think of you.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DGQVX8iGbgk

Watch at your own risk. I wasn't prepared to shed tears....

For anyone who has ever given their heart to an animal.

Lollie Lane said...

That cake is adorable!