Our new pet

The craziest thing happened yesterday. Seth was in the kitchen, I was in the living room, and all of a sudden he yelled for me to come look out the window because THIS was in our backyard:



Can't tell what it is? Here's a close-up:


And here's a close-up of the back of his head:


This guy was in our BACKYARD!! Unbelievable. It still blows my mind when I think about it. He started off in the middle of the backyard with a squirrel. He wasn't eating it...just holding it in his large talons and standing there for a long time (maybe 20 minutes?). He finally flew off with the squirrel, and here's a video of him standing there, Seth and I flipping out, and then the hawk flying off at the end):

video

So once he flew away we thought it was all over, but then an hour later I looked out the bedroom window and there he was again! He had brought his squirrel back and now he was eating it. He was back there for about 3 hours, eating every last bit of that squirrel. Amazing.

We named him Tiger, and after lots of googling, I'm pretty sure he's a ferruginous hawk. I'm no bird expert so could definitely be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what he is. If anyone thinks he's a different kind of hawk (or even an eagle!), please let me know. His thick white legs are what make me think there's a small possibility that he's an eagle.

It was just so unbelievable to have a creature like that right in our backyard!! Tiger, I hope you come back soon :)

1 comment:

jeannieo said...

he looks like a red-tailed hawk to me, but I'm no expert either....I know they are in the region though...

that's really cool!