Heather C in Tennessee


So this past week and weekend, Heather C. came to visit me all the way from Austin, Texas! Heather and I have known each other for 11 years. We met outside of the art building at college when we were 18, we hit it off immediately, and we've been good friends ever since!

One thing I love about having someone come visit that isn't from this area is getting to see my town from someone else's point of view, and it always makes me appreciate where I live a little more each time. Here are a few highlights from her visit:

The first full day, of course we had to go to the Smoky Mountains.



We drove up Foothills Parkway to see the view...beautiful as always, but a little hazy.



Then we went to a swimming hole in the Smokies. The water was FREEZING but it was still really fun to be in it.



A couple days later I decided to show Heather another view, and this one was at the top of Sharp's Ridge. It was, um....interesting. The view was good and all, but when we got out of the car, these two dudes we like, "Hey girls?" *long pause* "Don't stay up here too long." *suspicious grins* We were a little freaked, so we just took a quick snap shot and hopped back in the car and locked the doors.


This is Heather's Let's Get the Heck Outta Here smile

Once we got in the car, we were ready to hightail it out of there, but the car wouldn't start! And I'll be honest - at this point I flew into an all-out panic :) Finally after several tries the car started and I flew down that hill so fast. Its kind of funny to think about now, but not so much at the time. We made it out of there, though! And I got my car all fixed up this morning.

That night we sat on the patio at Urban Bar and people watched before seeing Tift Merritt at the Pilot Light. She was SO good. It was kind of a weird venue for her to be playing in, but other than that it was a great show.

The next to last day was Market Square, Gay Street, and World's Fair Park. We went up to the top of the Sunsphere and saw 360 views of the city (and I learned that they put real 24K gold dust in the windows to make them extra shiny). We walked around downtown, we peeked inside the beautiful Tennessee Theatre (Weird Al Yankovic was performing that night, but we didn't see him), and we hung out at the Bistro for a little while with the Disc Exchange crew.



I didn't really realize how much we packed into 4 days until I typed it all out! I guess too it was kind of important for me to show Heather that Knoxville really is awesome since she lives in such an awesome city herself :) Besides seeing all the sights, we really just did a TON of talking. I knew that would happen before she got here, and I loved every minute of it. I don't really like to talk on the phone, but I looooove having someone to talk to face-to-face.

So yeah...it was good times. The only bad thing is that I always get the My Friend Just Left Blues after people go home, but I'll be okay. I had such a blast - thanks for coming to Tennessee, Heather!

4 comments:

Lollie Lane said...

Sounds like you gave her the grand tour! Glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

i had a great time too! (is it weird for me to comment on this post?!) what was wrong with your car after all? i'm curious.

heather

Libby said...

Heather - No, its not weird at all! I would be surprised if you didn't, actually :)

The battery was corroded, just like you or Seth thought (can't remember which). They cleaned it out, plus put freon in my AC, so now it gets really cold. Yea!

Lollie Lane said...

Oh no! The whole show (opening bands, Gillian Welch and Rilo) totalled 5 hours. I didn't move a muscle for fear of losing my spot