Dining room chalkboard

I've wanted to put a chalkboard on the dining room wall (just outside the kitchen) ever since we moved into the house 1 year ago. For awhile I thought I'd just find a really big, framed picture for cheap at a thrift store and paint the glass with chalkboard paint. But what I discovered is that thrift stores aren't cheap anymore...they all sell the most hideous framed "art" for at least $25. Even the ones with the really cheap plastic frames! So my plan B was to buy one on Ebay, but the only ones I could find that were as big as I wanted were at least $75.

So, I moved onto plan C - make a chalkboard myself! This turned out to be the best plan because I could make the chalkboard the exact size I wanted, plus it only cost me $16.

Here's the step-by-step:
  1. Cut leftover board from metal art mounting project to size (I used a utility knife and sanded down the rough edges).
  2. Prime, 2 coats
  3. Paint with chalkboard paint ($12), 2 coats
  4. Drill a hole in each corner
  5. Mount to wall using mirror rosettes ($4)
I'm so excited about it!! Now I can keep a grocery list, leave notes/reminders, and most importantly, Seth and I can let each other know if Ruby has been out and fed.

Sorry Rube...you can't trick us anymore! :)

No comments: