A new addition to the house

Last weekend Seth and I went to our 4th annual Titans game with my parents (they just went 5-0 today!!), and while we were there we picked up their old couch to go in our living room. Our $22.50 couch has worked great for the past 2 years, but it was really getting worn out and more uncomfortable every day. Plus, with the brown rug and the brown coffee table, that area just felt too dingy and brown. Here's the old couch:

And here's the new couch!!

The couch was my Grandma Grace's couch, and its about 50 years old. I wasn't sure how the print was going to go in our living room (my parents had it recovered when I was a kid), but it ended up working really well I think.

It really brightens up the room! Plus its quite a bit bigger than the couch we had, so its more proportionate to the size of the room. Thanks Mom & Dad!

Another addition to the house is in the kitchen. I've been trying to figure out what to put over the stove since we moved in, and nothing seemed right. I didn't want to just stick something up there for the sake of filling the space. I wanted it to be functional in some way...ideally as something to hold recipes while I cook. At one point I'd thought about covering a mini clipboard with fabric or paper and hanging that up there, but I'm glad I didn't do that because I like this so much better:

Its a vintage metal tray that I got on Ebay, and its magnetic so I can use it to post recipes! I wish I could take credit for this great idea, but I can't - I saw it in blogger Rachel Denbow's kitchen on this post by sfgirlbybay. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was just what I needed above the stove. It adds some color and fills the space but its also totally practical.

I just love decorating with things that not only look good, but are also functional or have sentimental value (or both!). I hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the beautiful October weather!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The couch looks great! And it will remind you of mom and dad everytime you sit on it :) J/K! I really like the tray too, and the idea of posting recipes on it--I may borrow your idea for our kitchen! --slash