1. I said goodbye to my 20's and am officially a grown up now. So far...30 rules! And I don't feel old or freaked out or anything like that.
2. Seth turned 32 and is also not feeling freaked out about getting older. For his birthday we saw Kathleen Edwards at the Square Room. She is GREAT...check her out here.
3. I finally....FINALLY...finished building the stemware racks in the kitchen! Ever since we moved in, its been a bit of a struggle to think of things to put in the open shelving between the kitchen and the dining room. Everything needed to look decent from both sides, plus I wanted everything to have a function...not just a bunch of empty vases collecting dust. Since we don't have a ton of cabinets, storing wine glasses in the open shelving just seemed like a great solution...it cleared out some cabinet space and also looks good from both sides! Here's how I did it:
1. I drew up some plans. Nothing fancy...just a sketch of how it was going to work, what all the measurements needed to be to accommodate the glasses, etc.
2. I bought several 1x1 pieces of wood and sawed them to size with my new miter box and saw:
3. I made templates out of cardboard just to make sure all my measurements were going to work. I'm so glad I did this because I ended up having to adjust some of my measurements to accommodate some irregularities in the shelves.
4. I used leftover plywood from when I mounted my metal art piece to make the wider pieces of the stemware racks. I cut most of the pieces with a utility knife and this was a HUGE mistake. It took hours and hours and really hurt my hands and my back. When my friend Barry found out I'd been using a utility knife he couldn't believe it! And fortunately he let me come over and use his tools to finish cutting the final few pieces. One day I hope to have a whole workshop full of big power tools!
6. I pre-drilled 2 holes in all of the 1x1 pieces.
7. Because I needed the screws to be flush with the 1x1 pieces, I used my biggest drill bit to make a little space for the head of the screw to sink in to. I'm sure there's a technical term for this but I don't know what it is :)
8. I screwed all the 1x1 pieces into the shelves. This was a little tricky and I ended up screwing them in by hand.
9. Then I attached the wide pieces. I bought a nail gun just for this job and I was super excited about it (I've always wanted a nail gun). But unfortunately it didn't work well at all and the brad nails wouldn't sink into the wood like I had hoped. I guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest model, but I just wasn't willing to drops hundreds of dollars on one of those awesome air powered ones. So I ended up driving brad nails in with a hammer...and it worked great!
So that's all there was to it! Actually, this project took a LOT more time and effort than I ever thought it would, but it was completely worth it. Here's the finished product:
I already had the plywood, paint, sandpaper, etc., so the only thing I had to buy was $15 worth of 1x1 wood. Well, and a $50 piece of junk nail gun that I'm hoping Home Depot will take back even though its been over 90 days since I bought it. $15 for custom stemware racks...you can't beat that! :)