She's a tough ole girl

Poor little Miss Ruby has had a rough month. We discovered a puncture wound on her a couple weeks ago, and we're pretty sure she got it when we boarded her at the beginning of the month. She's an indoor dog so really, that's the only time that anything could have happened. Also? We're pretty sure its a snake bite...pretty upsetting. I took her to the vet and got her started on antibiotics but it just wasn't healing. So a week later I took her back to the vet and she got 5 staples and (dun dun dun) - a CONE. Some people call them Elizabethan collars, but basically its a rigid plastic cone you put around a dogs neck to keep them from licking/biting a wound. I always thought dogs looked so funny with a cone on, but now I know its not really funny at all, and especially not on a blind dog. We tried it the first night and she couldn't even walk through a doorway. She just kept slamming the cone on the wall over and over. Then she'd change directions and slam it again. Awful. So last night we tried a new tactic to keep her away from the staples:



She looks so tough! And it seems to work as far as we can tell. Poor little thing though. Its just so hard to watch her deal with all these new challenges on top of being blind. Seth told me this morning that she's started limping and there's something wrong with her left front leg. I know she's old (12 1/2 yrs.) and its natural for her to start deteriorating, but man...its hard for me to see her having trouble. She's such a sweet little thing and we've been through so much together...I just want her to hang in there and have a peaceful life. She definitely deserves it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww...poor rube :( That last pic of her makes me want to cry. I hope she's feeling much better now.
Give her a squeeze for me......--Loufer

Anonymous said...

Poor Rubester.

-heather

jeannieo said...

awww the baby :(

she does look badass in her tank. she should wear it all the time.