Kitchen floor

I've wanted to replace the kitchen floor ever since we moved in, but its never been a high priority because I don't hate the floor as it is. It never looks clean no matter how hard I scrub, and it has a few blemishes, but all in all it goes pretty well with the rest of the kitchen. But all of a sudden this week I have become obsessed with finding the perfect thing to replace it with. Here's the floor now (although it looks more yellow in real life):



My first instinct was to do black and white checkered floors, but the more I thought about it the more I realized it'd be too much contrast in a room (or rooms if you count the dining room) that already has so much contrast as it is. I did a very rough mock-up in Photoshop and that confirmed it for me: no b&w tiles.





Then I saw this kitchen floor on The Brick House and thought, oooh solid speckled tile is the answer! After spending hours making mock-ups of every possible speckled VCT tile I could find, I realized that that wasn't going to work either.





This one is just so horrendous that I have to post it:



Hahaha. It looks like my kitchen floor is covered in hot lava.

So back to the serious ideas...now I'm thinking that the way to go is checkerboard tiles, just not in black and white. Like all my mock-ups, these are very rough...but if you sort of squint your eyes and and look at the big picture, I think you can get the idea. I did one with the tiles lined up straight, and one diagonal (I'm definitely leaning towards the diagonal one).





I know I haven't posted anything on this blog for a month, but if there's anyone out there that still reads it, I'd love some feedback! Which one of these options do you like best, or is there an option that I haven't thought of yet that might work? I'm not really interested in ceramic tile because its expensive, harder to install, and if you drop anything breakable on it, it shatters. Pretty much I'm thinking vinyl tiles, VCT (commercial grade vinyl tiles), or marmoleum/linoleum tiles. I got really excited about the possibility of rubber tiles for awhile (and spent hours doing mock-ups with them), but then I found out that they're not good for kitchens because grease/oil can have a bad affect on them. That was a bummer because I thought they'd be great for my feet/back since they are very shock absorbent and I spend so much time in the kitchen.

So anyway...that's what I've been thinking about lately! I'm pretty excited about it because I haven't been pumped about a major house project in awhile (hence the lack of blogging). Its fun to have the wheels turning again! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the 2nd to last picture w/ the diagonal greenish/grayish tiles. I think they'd make a huge difference in there, and they sound fairly easy to install. Let me know what you decide to do! -Lou

jeannieo said...

Definitely agree that if you do checkerboard, it should be diagonal.

My parents have linoleum tiles in their kitchen and dining room, and they have a pale grey stone appearance. It works in there because it is so mellow.

I'll look around on some flooring websites and if I see anything amazing, I'll let you know!

Lollie Lane said...

The last one is definitely my favorite! (Not a huge fan of diagonal)

Jennifer said...

Well you have probably done ypur floor by now, but in case you haven't, here are my two cents. I love the checkerboard, it's perfect for the retro look you have. I think the non-diagonal is better because the squarish look would echo the square opening to the kitchen. I think the softest thing underfoot is cork. If you chose two colors of cork for your checkerboard (it comes in various shades of beige and brown) the transition, colorwise, from your wood floor in the dining area would be smooth.