connected

Lately I've been feeling really weird about Facebook. I always talk about how things were better before we had technology like digital music, cell phones with the internet, GPS, and the Kindle (don't even get me started on how wrong this is to me). But Facebook somehow slipped in and now I'm one of the billions of people that goes on there every day for who knows what. I see and post pictures, and that's nice. I have mini-conversations about random things with random friends, some of whom I haven't talked to face-to-face, over the phone, or even emailed in over a decade. And the weirdest part to me is that, even though I don't act on it most of the time, it now occurs to me to announce what I'm thinking or feeling to the 218 people that are my FB friends. I think that's STRANGE, people.

I want to revert back to how things were before, when people would actually be surprised by how their classmates have changed at high school reunions and when I didn't know that a friend from middle school's baby finally slept through the night. But if I quit Facebook, I'm cut out of a loop that I already feel pretty out of. I text maybe 12 times a year (almost always at loud concerts where I couldn't call if I wanted to), and it takes me about 10 minutes to write 1 sentence. I've never bought a song on iTunes. I thing all internet should be blocked from cell phones (and maybe we could just get rid of cell phones all together while we're at it? Just a thought...). I'm scared for the next generation because they won't know how to read a map, they won't hold actual books in their hands and dog ear pages, they won't bring a CD or record home and read the liner notes cover to cover while sitting on their bedroom floor listening to every song for the first time, and they won't know what its like to wonder about something and just say "huh...I don't know" and be content not knowing for the time being (Google).

So as you can imagine my outlook on these things already sets me apart and sadly, it alienates me sometimes. I feel really strongly about all this though, and I'm not about to buy a G4 phone just so I'll feel more included. And this is where Facebook comes back in...I'm really starting to despise it, but if I quit then I'll be cutting off the one techy thing (apart from email) that I can participate in with my friends. Its a catch 22, really. Is anyone else feeling the same way? Can we all make a pact right now to quit the whole thing once and for all?

ps. Seth feels just as strongly about this stuff as I do (maybe even more so - he's not on Facebook at all), and I love him for that. At least I don't feel like a lame old fogey talking about "the good ole days" when I'm around him :)

8 comments:

Autaven said...

I'm beginning to feel the same way.

http://notsocountry.blogspot.com/

Mamabelle said...

While going about my daily business I find myself thinking some oh-so-witty thought and how I should post it as my FB status. Then, that it occurs to me to do that--annoys me. I ponder this technology too. Facebook was at first, so fun, and now I don't know anyone's email address. I already don't know anyone's phone number b/c of cell phones!
I'm a person who's proud to say I watch zero television (I'm luckily not addicted to any show at this moment), I have texting blocked on my cell, and there's no way I'd pay to reach the Internet on it... and books, I own a thousand of them and wouldn't have it any other way.

Anonymous said...

your right, Libby. It is weird. Good post. It is something that i think about too. You articulated it well.

What are we doing? I try to only check FB every coupla days... and even then I feel left out. I miss out on specials at the resturaunt in our neighborhood, council members decisions, and hip posts by the popular FBers.

On a lighter note, you may remember an email from me quite a while ago. Well, our kitchen is almost finished! We painted our 1940 cabinets and I love it. So, as strange as this tech communication stuff is, it would have been awfully hard for me to be inspired by your kitchen update if I wouldnt have been able to do a simple google search from my home in the Northwest and find your kitchen makeover in Tennesse. So, thank you.
Sarah

Libby said...

Hi Sarah! I'd love to see pictures of your newly redone kitchen! Do you have a blog I can check out? And its funny you mention the blog in the first place...the evening after I wrote this post it occurred to me that writing a blog for anyone in the world to see is pretty strange too. But oddly, I find it much more personal than Facebook! I'm glad you could find my kitchen and be inspired by it, as I've been inspired by so many other bloggers on the internet. I guess technology isn't all bad ;)

sleepinl8 said...

eh, i understand where ur coming from, but i think technology also makes the world safer. so, i do have a burning question... do you not agree with blogging?

Libby said...

sleepinl8 - i know they are definitely newer technology, i actually love blogs! they seem a lot more personal and real than facebook, and i think that's b/c people generally have to put a lot more thought into writing a blog post than status updates on FB. most bloggers put their heart into what they write instead of pulling out their iphone in the middle of dinner to let their facebook friends know what restaurant they're at and who they're with. also blogs are also just a great resource for inspiration or just finding people that are writing about things you can relate to.

sleepinl8 said...

that makes sense. the writing is really deep (or the pictures are interesting at leats) on blogs. i just spent a whole day in the heart of washington dc, and i gotta admit the lack of simplicity was a lil' depressing...

Anonymous said...

i couldn't agree w/ you more, lib. i do fb less and less these days, and really don't miss it. and i really despise blackberries and the like--bry has to have one for work and is really good abt not being on it except when he has to. but when i see people on them all the time, it really bothers me. i do text some, b/c i've found that's the only way to reach a lot of people. but i have no desire to have internet on my phone, nor to know every minute of everyone else's lives or them to know mine. i tend to use fb now more if i have a general question i need feedback on, or to see a friends pics. anyway, all that to say...i'm w/ you on this issue and think its gotten way out of hand!
-lou