Pho good


















Tonight I made pho for the first time! I used to eat it a lot when I lived in Austin and I've missed it ever since (if you're ever in Texas, check out Kim Phung...so good). Pho traditionally has a beef broth, but I found a vegetarian recipe online and decided to give it a shot. I managed to find all the ingredients except for giant pho bowls, but it still turned out great I think.


















The are so many crazy flavors in this dish. The broth has cinnamon, cloves, onion, garlic, shallots, star of anise, ginger, and soy sauce. Some of the "toppings" seem logical...green onions, bean sprouts, lime. But others are ones that I would never think to add to a dish like this - like fresh basil! But all the flavors magically work together. Add a bunch of chile garlic sauce and sriracha and everything works. So filling and fun to eat!

I probably won't make this one too often because it was so time consuming, but it was really fun to turn my dining room into Lib's Pho Palace for a night :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds amazing! thanks for sharing :) -Lan

allison said...

i'm so impressed! that sounds like a ton of work but it looks delicious. i heart pho. -al