Evolution of a room (aka why I'm not cut out to be an interior designer)


















This is something I've been wanting to write about for awhile now. I remember when Seth and I first bought the house in 2007, I instantly felt an overwhelming need to get every room looking complete as soon as possible. I knew that there was no way that could happen right away (especially for very little money), but that didn't matter...I still went to thrift stores every day on my lunch break and searched online for things to fill my new space constantly. It was a full-on obsession.


















I slowly found things here and there, and the thrift store stalking really did pay off. Some of the things I got ended up right back at Goodwill a few years later, but other things are still in the house and probably will be for years to come.


















A lot of the things I brought into the house that didn't make the final cut were still functional for a time, and ultimately helped me realize what worked and did not work by trial and error.


















Perfect example: a really long, tan sofa and a red carpet do. not. work.























Now that we're approaching the 4-year mark in the house and I am only just now finally satisfied with what's happening in the living room, it has become abundantly clear to me that there is no point in trying to force a room to come together in a short period of time (at least not on a budget). And honestly, even if money was no object I don't know if I could do a room in a short time frame, or if I'd want to. I've really enjoyed the process of it all and that it took me lots of searching at lots of different places to collect all the parts of the room that make it work for me. I honestly have no idea how interior designers do this in a matter of months. I've toyed with the idea of going back to school to become an interior designer because I love doing it in my own home, but the time constraint is the thing that stops me every time.

So all this gets to the thing I've been wanting to do for awhile, and that's pick a room and pinpoint where everything in it came from and where I got it. If the awful pictures above don't have you convinced that it takes time for a room to evolve, I think this will. Plus I just got Photoshop on my computer at home and wanted an excuse to try it out :)

And.....blogger won't post these pics big enough for you to click on and be able to read. UGH. I'm really getting so tired of blogger these days; its just so cumbersome to use anymore. I'd love to switch everything over to a better blog site but I don't think I post often enough to go through all that trouble. As for the pics I can't post right now, I'll put them up on a separate post in just a few minutes.

1 comment:

Mamabelle said...

I had this burnt orange couch that I picked up at a thrift store not long after we bought our house in 04. It was a sectional that was supposed to be in our family room along with a shag rug, beads over the windows, etc. Anyway, it barely fit in there and eventually ended up in the living room where it didn't match AT ALL, but I loved it and didn't want to part ways. Now that we've moved, I'm so glad we did get rid of it--a burden has lifted! Long story short, for our next house, I've decided Craig's List shall be our "store of choice" instead and keep repeating to myself: I am not going to fall in love with stuff that doesn't work!