I hadn't heard about radon until I ready this post on younghouselove.com, and it scared me. You can google radon or read the post I just mentioned and get all the details, but the short version is this: radon is a radioactive gas that comes out of the earth and into our homes, and if its coming in at a high enough level, its super cancerous and is often referred to as a "silent killer." Yikes!
So when I first read that post, the possibility of having high levels of radon and spending over $2,000 to get the issue fixed was too scary, so I did the mature thing: I decided to ignore it all together and enjoy the bliss of ignorance. Then a year passed and I read more things about radon, and eventually decided that it would be really dumb if Seth and I both got some awful, preventable cancer down the road just b/c I wasn't brave enough to face the issue. So, I got the free test in the mail, followed the instructions, sent it back to the testing center (also for free), and crossed my fingers.
That was 1 week ago today, and last night I had a dream that I got a letter in the mail stating that our house was a-okay on the radon front. It was so exciting! Until I woke up and realized it was a dream. Well, apparently it was less of a dream and more of a premonition, because the results came in today....and we are radon free! Okay, not radon free, but well below the EPA's standard which is 4.0 pCi/L (ours is 0.5 pCi/L). Yahoo!!
Anyway, I just want to spread the word and encourage everyone to test their house as well. I can't find a link for how I got the radon test kit for free, but I searched around online and most are only $15. Definitely worth it, especially considering that radon related lung cancer kills approximately 22,000 people each year.