the guest room

When we moved in, the guest room was pink. Then I painted it yellow. Then I painted it green/blue. Now I want to paint it...pink. I know, I know! But something about the color combo in there has just always bugged me and I won't relax about it until it feels right. And it won't be the exact pink that was in the room before. It'll be more of a soft peach. I know that sounds horrible but look (via here)...


...it could be beautiful!!

I love how this room is soft b/c of the peachy pink walls but is also grounded and feels substantial with all the dark wood tones. And I really love how warm it is with the red-orange and yellow thrown in. I think that's the biggest thing that bugs me about the room right now...the blue/green on the walls isn't warm enough.

So, getting down to logistics. There are a few things that have to stay as is...the curtains and the pink desk. The good thing is that those items will fit right in with what I'm thinking. The metal headboard and the dresser can be painted (or replaced) and the bedding can be changed. The tricky part is what to do about the nightstands. I painted them a few years back and I LOVE them, but they wouldn't really work in the new room. Or maybe they would, but I'm doubting it. Of course I could always paint them another color. I used to get more attached to the way I had a room fixed up and would never dream of changing it once it was finished, but I've moved away from that these days (hence, the living room overhaul). I think its healthy to change things up every now and then.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback!

5 comments:

Julia said...

love the curtains and desk! right now there is a nice contrast with those and your paint color. We painted a similar color in our daughter's room. We skipped primer with yellow underneath and it affected the final color.

jeannieo said...

There was a feature in the August issue of Real Simple about paint colors where they suggest picking out a trio of related or nature-based combos of paint. http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/tips-techniques/color-combinations-00100000062372/page8.html They had one room that had a pink ceiling and green walls, which sounds kind of crazy, but looked really pretty. Worth flipping through next time you're at the drugstore.

I think the nightstands could work with the pink if you changed the hardware. World Market has some cute knobs for pretty cheap.

Libby said...

ooooh...i love that green room with the pink ceiling! like really love it. do you think that would work with my existing curtains? i absolutely can't get rid of those b/c my mom bought them for me as a very generous house warming gift and it would make her too sad if i took them down. i do believe i can make them work, though!

Lollie Lane said...

I think the nightstands would look great painted cream with clear knows. Or black. Hey, 3 comments in one day! You can tell I'm getting ready to get back into blogging.

Libby said...

haha. yes, i can tell :)