Finally, I am satisfied!

Have you ever had one of those rooms that you just can't figure out what to do with? The guest room has been that room for me for the past 4 years. First it was just a den with a futon, and I painted it yellow not long after we bought the house. Not pretty. Over the next few years, I painted it the blue/green that it is now, hung drapes that my mom got for us, brought in the vintage pink metal desk, and put an iron headboard on the bed. All seemingly good improvements, but the room still just felt like a sad mix of random things shoved in a room. I toyed with the idea of painting the walls for a 3rd time, but eventually decided that it wouldn't work with the drapes, and it wasn't an option to remove them because they had been such a generous gift from my mom.

So a couple months ago my friend Stacy was over and I was complaining about the guest room...telling her all my ideas and how none of them felt right. I had been obsessing over it for so long that I needed a fresh perspective. She said that the biggest problem in the room wasn't the wall color or the drapes - it was that the room had no focal point. DING DING! She hit the nail on the head. Because this is a guest room, she suggested that I make the bed the focal
point and really go all out on it, and that's what I did!


I already had the Missoni zig zag pillows from Target...something I bought on that frenzied day that the collection was released as a consolation for the zig zag throw I really wanted being sold out at both Target locations I went to. And now I'm happy I didn't get that throw because I like this so much more.

Then I ordered the chevron duvet cover from West Elm and had to wait 2 months for it to arrive because it was on backorder. Super frustrating but well worth the wait. The throw is something I got at a friend's yard sale last year. The funny thing about that is I bought a total of 7 throws trying to find the right one and it ended up being one I already had!

The next big change was the headboard. I painted the one I had I think 4 or 5 different colors, finally settling on oil rubbed bronze. After having it up in the room for a few weeks, I realized it didn't matter what color it was...it was too ornate for the room.

So off I went to find a new one. I ended up buying a brass headboard for $10 at the Habitat for Humanity thrift store and painting it charcoal grey.

I freaked out when I brought it in after priming and painting it only to realize that it didn't fit on the bed frame, but a few weeks later I rigged it with a piece of wood painted the same grey and it works great.

The lamps are vintage pink ceramic lamps I got on Ebay, and the shades were $9 each on clearance at Kirkland's.

I like how they are a subtle nod to the pink desk without being in your face pink (just like the desk). I discovered that its hard to find pink stuff that doesn't scream baby girl's room.

I also picked up another vintage lamp for the dresser and organized my jewelry in my grandmother's old jewelry box. I never posted pictures of that part of the room because my jewelry was all over the place and the lamp was ugly and sitting on a box because it was too short. It also had a binder clip on it to keep a piece of fabric over the shade. Classy! :)


Finally (and this happened yesterday), I found an awesome set of Syroco flower wall hangings from 1964 that are the cherry on top of the bed. I LOVE them. They add even more drama to the bed, and they tie in the color of the drapes.


And that's it! Again, a big thank you to Stacy for helping me figure this room out. I really don't think I could have done it without you! I'm so glad to finally feel content with the room, and now I'm ready to have a house guest over to enjoy it. So...who's it gonna be?? :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are brilliant and so talented, libby! :) it looks wonderful.

heather

allison said...

it looks fabulous, libby! i need to come try it out officially :)

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous, Lib! Should be in a magazine! -Lou

Julia said...

i really like the way the colors blend!

Clearance Lighting said...

The room looks simply amazing. Add to it the lights in the room that give radiant and elegance.

Liz Owen said...

This looks just gorgeous Libby! Now I want to redo a room!

Lollie Lane said...

Hey, thanks for the kudos but, it was really all you. Looks great!

Fat Cat said...

I'm really glad you're finally happy with the room ! There's nothing more frustrating than being unhappy with a space and none of your ideas seem to work out...

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Wow, girl... you nailed it!!! It looks so great! The WE duvet is my favorite... love how you mixed it with your Missoni pillows. And the flower wall hangings? Perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am enjoying your blog. The pictures in your bedroom are hung too closely together. Either the bottoms or the tops should line up. That is the only part of your room that bothers me. The rest is great. Very creative.

buy rift account said...

Great!Looks absolutely beautiful.